Supporting Your Rights In Ministry Of Labour Disputes

In Ontario, the Employment Standards Act is enforced by the Ministry of Labour. Claims for statutory entitlements to unpaid wages, vacation pay, termination pay, severance pay, etc. can be filed with the Employment Standards Branch of the Ministry of Labour. This ministry will then investigate the complaint through a fact-finding meeting, and ultimately render a decision.

At Blackburn Lawyers, our employment lawyers know that common law entitlements are generally greater than the minimums required by the Employment Standards Act. Based in Richmond Hill, Ontario, our team will assist you with filing a complaint with the Ministry of Labour, and protect your rights against any prejudices.

Helping You Understand Ministry Of Labour Disputes

If you file a claim for statutory notice pay or severance pursuant to the Employment Standards Act, you are limited to one week of notice per year of service, to a maximum of 8 weeks. You may also be entitled to an additional 1 week of statutory severance per year of service, to a maximum of 26 weeks, provided you have been employed for at least five continuous years, and provided the employer is large enough, having a payroll of at least $2.5 million per year.

If you are taking a leave of absence, such as for maternity or for an illness, you have a right to be returned to your previous position, or a comparable position at the end of your statutory leave of absence. An employer is not allowed to terminate your employment solely because of the leave of absence, although there may be other reasons for a termination not relating to the leave of absence.

Arrange A Meeting With Our Employment Law Lawyers

If you are in need of the services of a lawyer to help you process your Ministry of Labour Dispute – contact our team today at 905-884-9242 and let us help you navigate this complex system!